Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts

Video: How a Utah gang member became a college prof
First Published Feb 07 2013 09:09 am • Last Updated Feb 07 2013 12:36 pm

At age 16, Robert J. Durán joined a street gang in Ogden.

For many, such a choice means eventually going to prison or dying an early death. But Durán stopped participating in gangs and began studying them and the police and societal response to gangs.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

Durán, now an associate professor of criminal justice at New Mexico State University, has written a book that is part memoir and part academic journal. The book from Columbia University Press is called "Gang Life in Two Cities: An Insider’s Journey."

Durán participated in a video chat with Tribune crime co-editor Nate Carlisle to discuss his book and gangs in Utah. Some of what he says reflects worse upon the police and Utah culture than it does the gang members.

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.