Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Trial rescheduled in Roy double murder
Courts » Jeremy Valdes is accused of killing a mother and son in 2009.
First Published Jan 24 2013 03:55 pm • Last Updated Jan 28 2013 03:22 pm

After flip-flopping on firing his public defenders, the trial for a man accused of killing a Roy mother and son more than three years ago is back on track.

Jeremy Valdes, 36, is now set for trial in September in 2nd District Court in the deaths of Matthew Roddy, 30, and Pamela Knight Jeffries, 53.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

On Nov. 25, 2009, Valdes allegedly fatally stabbed Roddy during an argument about stolen prescription drugs. Police believe Valdes then beat Jeffries, Roddy’s mother, before leaving her unconscious with a plastic trash bag around her head and stuffing her and Roddy into a closet.

Valdes is charged with two counts of aggravated murder, which is punishable by death. He also has been charged with joyriding, obstructing justice and two counts of abuse or desecration of a human body, all third-degree felonies.

Miranda Statler, Valdes’ girlfriend, also was charged with helping stuff the bodies in a closet, stealing Roddy’s car and lying to police, but she was not charged with murder. She has been sentenced to spend up to 20 years in prison.

Valdes was originally set to go to trial on Jan. 8, but in early December, Valdes decided he wanted to fire his public defenders and represent himself during the trial.

However, he’d had a change of heart by Dec. 18, when he filed a motion withdrawing his request for new counsel or to represent himself.

Valdes has attempted to fire his court-appointed counsel on more than one occasion. In August, he filed a similar motion asking for new lawyers, but attorney Randall Marshall said at that time they were working through Valdes’ concerns.

In November, Valdes’ mother, Marilee Valdes, wrote to Judge Mark DeCaria that attorneys appointed to represent her son were not able to get promised expert witnesses and were not thoroughly interviewing witnesses.

A six-week trial is set to begin Sept. 27.

story continues below
story continues below


Twitter: @jm_miller

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.