Quantcast
Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Lawsuit filed against driver who allegedly killed 15-year-old Vernal boy
Courts » Man was allegedly texting while driving when his truck hit the 15 year old.
First Published Jan 16 2013 04:20 pm • Last Updated Jan 28 2013 03:26 pm

The family of a 15-year-old Vernal boy has filed a wrongful death suit against a man who allegedly hit and killed the teen while texting behind the wheel last year.

Evie Lesser, the mother of Thomas "Tommy" LaVelle Clark, is seeking an unspecified amount of damages from the driver, Jeffery Lloyd Bascom.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

Meanwhile, Bascom, 28, of Jensen, is charged in 8th District Court with automobile homicide involving the use of a hand-held wireless communication device while driving, a second-degree felony, as well as obstruction of justice, a third-degree felony.

Vernal police have said Clark and a friend were walking on the shoulder of 500 West near 1300 South at about 9 p.m. on Sept. 2 when a Dodge pickup driven by Bascom drifted off the road and hit Clark. Police allege Bascom was texting at the time.

Clark was taken to a hospital and died the next day.

An amendment to Utah’s texting-while-driving law took effect in May, making it illegal to be doing anything on a hand-held wireless communication device except making or receiving a call, or using GPS navigation. Before the change, a driver had to be sending a text at the instant an accident occurred — merely looking at a text or the screen of a cellphone was not illegal.

The amendment is meant to make cases easier to prove, since prosecutors have said the narrow construction of the law made it almost impossible to get convictions.

Uintah County prosecutors have said they believe Bascom’s case is the first time the new statute has been applied in their county.

Bascom has a long history of traffic violations dating back to when he was 16, according to Utah court records. In 2009, he was convicted of driving more than 40 mph over the speed limit.

A preliminary hearing in the criminal case is set for Jan. 23 before Judge Douglas Thomas.


story continues below
story continues below

shunt@sltrib.com



Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment


About Reader Comments


Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Videos
Jobs
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.