Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
(Courtesy photo) Authorities respond to a fire at Basin Propane in Vernal on Tuesday, Jan. 15, 2013.
Vernal propane plant fire damages exceed $250K
Uintah County » Electrical heater suspected as cause.
First Published Jan 16 2013 11:09 am • Last Updated Jan 28 2013 03:26 pm

A fire that caused more than $250,000 in damage to a Vernal propane distribution plant may have been ignited by an electrical space-heating device.

However, Uintah Fire District Chief Jeremy Raymond said that his investigation officially will list the cause of the Tuesday afternoon blaze at Basin Propane Systems as "undetermined."

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

"There were infrared heaters inside the shop at the time of the fire and we think they could have initially caused the fire," Raymond said Wednesday. "But we just don’t have sufficient evidence" to make an official determination.

Raymond said any further investigation likely will be done by Basin Propane’s insurers.

Calls to Basin Propane’s offices seeking comment were not returned.

The blaze at 1447 E. 500 South in Vernal was reported Tuesday at 10:32 a.m. and was out by 2 p.m. In between those times, a precautionary evacuation of the company site and a half-mile radius around the business was in effect.

The fire was contained to the shop building and did not spread to large propane tanks on the property outside the structure.

U.S. 40, which passes within about 400 feet of the fire scene, also was shut down for about three hours.

Flames and smoke were reported as billowing into the skies shortly after the fire broke out, and some residents reported hearing pops and explosions.


story continues below
story continues below

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.