Natural gas from a leak that caused the evacuation of 20 Orem homes Friday morning, was still lingering in the sewer system by Friday evening, forcing the occupants of three homes to spend the night in a hotel.
Questar Gas spokesman Darren Shepherd said the company began getting reports of strong gas odors in eight homes in the area at about 4 a.m. Friday. By 8:30 a.m., the company identified 20 homes affected by the leak in the area of 400 North and 1000 East. Shepherd said residents of those homes were evacuated. Those who didn't go to work or school were put up in a nearby hotel.