Smithfield fire sparked by heat gun used to thaw pipes
An attempt to thaw pipes on Thursday morning sparked a fire in Smithfield.
About 10:46 a.m., firefighters from Smithfield, North Logan, Logan and Cache County responded to a fire at a trailer home at 610 W. 100 North. The first ones on scene reported smoke and flames coming from the mobile home, according to a news release.
The fire started in a small utility closet that housed the water heater and furnace, Smithfield Fire Chief Jay Downs said in a statement. The fire spread into the adjacent bedroom and bathroom before firefighters had it under control.
Investigators found that a heat gun normally used to remove paint and decals was instead being used to thaw pipes, sparking the fire.
The fire caused about $30,000 damage. No one was hurt.
Smithfield Fire Battalion Chief Mike Weibel added in a statement that people should remember not to leave portable heating devices unattended.
See more about comments here.