Firefighters quickly extinguished an electrical fire that started Wednesday afternoon in the family room of a Salt Lake City duplex.
Flame damage was contained to the family room, but there was smoke and water damage to other parts of the first floor of the home, located at 2321 S. 800 East, said fire department spokesman Jasen Asay.
Neighbors called 911 at 2:05 p.m. to report the fire, and firefighters arrived four minutes later to see smoke and flames through a window.
The residents — a man, his wife and their baby — were not home at the time, and firefighters had to force entry, Asay said.
City building officials were going to inspect the home and determine if the family could stay there Wednesday night.
Asay said a power strip was involved in the origin of the fire, which was deemed accidental, but investigators did not know if the power strip malfunctioned or was overloaded.
A damage estimate was not immediately available.
Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.