Quantcast

Fire destroys family room at Salt Lake City duplex

Published January 2, 2013 3:23 pm

This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Firefighters quickly extinguished an electrical fire that started Wednesday afternoon in the family room of a Salt Lake City duplex.

Flame damage was contained to the family room, but there was smoke and water damage to other parts of the first floor of the home, located at 2321 S. 800 East, said fire department spokesman Jasen Asay.

Neighbors called 911 at 2:05 p.m. to report the fire, and firefighters arrived four minutes later to see smoke and flames through a window.

The residents — a man, his wife and their baby — were not home at the time, and firefighters had to force entry, Asay said.

City building officials were going to inspect the home and determine if the family could stay there Wednesday night.

Asay said a power strip was involved in the origin of the fire, which was deemed accidental, but investigators did not know if the power strip malfunctioned or was overloaded.

A damage estimate was not immediately available.

shunt@sltrib.com

USER COMMENTS
Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
comments powered by Disqus