Quantcast
Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Christmas fire heavily damages Salt Lake City apartments
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2012, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

A fire early Christmas morning heavily damaged three Salt Lake City apartments, but the five adults living there all were able to escape without injury.

Salt Lake City firefighters responded at 12:31 a.m. to the fire at a three-story apartment building at 163 S. 600 East.

They found heavy smoke and flames coming from the building. The fire was quickly extinguished, although efforts were complicated initially by live electrical power lines that were dangling near the back of the building.

City investigators ruled that the fire was accidental. An occupant told firefighters she had discarded a cigarette into a garbage can on her back patio, which she believed caused the fire.

The second-story deck above that back patio collapsed during the fire, spreading the fire into the building.

Apartments on the first and second floor received heavy smoke, fire and water damage. An apartment on the third floor received smoke damage. The dollar amount of damage was undetermined.

Article Tools

 Print Friendly
 
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Login to the Electronic Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.