Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Utah County man in jailed after armed pastor stops break-in at church
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2012, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

A Utah County man is being held in jail after he tried to break into an Orem church an was stopped by its gun-toting pastor.

Robert Brooks is pastor of Victory Baptist Church in Orem, and lives in the church basement.

A police probable cause statement filed in Provo's 4th District Court on Monday said Brooks was awakened by a loud banging noise outside the church at 2 a.m. last Friday and went to investigate.

That's when he found a 29-year-old man pulling on the exterior doors on the south side of the church trying to get in. The man, who appeared intoxicated, told Brooks he was looking for work, court paper say.

Armed with a pistol, Brooks got the man to lie on the ground and called police, the documents state.

Officers arrested the man, who admitted to being "on something." During a search, officers found the man had a bottle of prescription medication that appeared to have been prescribed to another person, the documents state.

The man is being held in the Utah County jail for investigation of public intoxication, drug possession and drug distribution charges. Bail is set at $20,000.

Court records show the man is currently on probation after being convicted of theft charges earlier this year.



Article Tools

 Print Friendly
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.