Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Two injured in overnight shootings, standoffs in Roy
Police » Two men arrested in incidents involving guns.
First Published Dec 16 2012 11:50 am • Last Updated Apr 08 2013 11:32 pm

Two women were injured, two guns discharged and two allegedly intoxicated men arrested overnight after two separate standoffs in Roy.

Roy police Chief Greg Whinham said the first standoff started about 10:30 p.m. Saturday when officers responded to a home near 3800 West and 4750 South on a report that a 41-year-old man was firing a gun.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

When officers arrived, he said, they found the man’s wife had been shot multiple times in the lower body, apparently as she was attempting to flee the home.

Another woman was hit in the head by a flying bottle during the dispute, suffering a cut to her head that required stitches at a local hospital, he said. He said the husband, who was allegedly under the influence of alcohol, apparently tried to hit his wife with the bottle but missed, striking the other woman instead.

Whinham said while the man was firing his gun, he also shot a home across the street at least once. Though residents were home at the time, everyone there escaped injury, he said.

He said the man refused to come out of his house for about two hours, but negotiators talked him into surrendering about 12:40 a.m.

Whinham said the man’s wife was expected to survive. The woman injured by the bottle was treated at a hospital and released.

Police arrested the man on suspicion of attempted homicide and several other charges.

The couple’s 5-year-old son, who was home at the time, was not injured.

Then at about 3 a.m., Whinham said police were called to another home on reports that a shot had been fired.

story continues below
story continues below

When they arrived, he said, officers encountered people fleeing the home, but no one had been injured.

He said a 38-year-old man under the influence of alcohol had gotten into a family dispute and apparently decided to get a gun to injure himself. As people struggled over the gun, Whinham said, it accidentally fired a bullet through the floor.

Whinham said the man surrendered to police about 30 minutes after officers arrived.

No one was injured. Whinham said the man was arrested on suspicion of using a dangerous weapon in a threat or quarrel and reckless endangerment.


Twitter: @sltribjanelle

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.