Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Utah Open Lands seeks public support for Toll Canyon acreage
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2012, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Utah Open Lands has an option to purchase 781 acres of forest, trails and watershed known as Toll Canyon between Pinebrook and Summit Park in Summit County, but the nonprofit is still seeking public funding to seal the deal.

The conservation organization has until the end of December to bring the acreage into public ownership, said Wendy Fisher, the organization's executive director.

"Toll Canyon is an oasis of evergreen forests, wildlife and possible community trails within 20 minutes of Salt Lake City and 10 minutes from Park City," Fisher said.

The nonprofit has successfully solicited funding from Summit County, Park City and Snyderville Basin Recreation District. It also is seeking funding through private foundations, she said.

But Fisher noted the organization needs another $250,000 from individual donors.

The option gives Utah Open Lands two years to raise $250,000. However, it can't close on the option by the end of December if community members don't pledge enough to support the shortfall, Fisher said.

The property is currently held by RE Investment Holdings LLC. It's valued at $6.1 million, about $7,800 per acre. If Utah Open Lands is successful in community fundraising, the landowner will contribute $610,000 in value, dropping the total purchase to $5,490,000, Fisher said.

But if the funds can't be raised, RE Investment will move forward with development plans, Fisher noted.

All donations and pledges made through http://www.utahopenlands.org go directly toward the protection of Toll Canyon.


Funding • The conservation organization has purchase option and December deadline.
Article Tools

 Print Friendly
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.