Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Murder charge filed in Cedar City domestic violence death

Courts » Kerry Lynn Richardson now charged with murder in the death of Tracy Ellen Little.

First Published Nov 28 2012 10:53 am • Last Updated Nov 29 2012 07:47 am

The Cedar City man who police say beat his girlfriend to death has been charged with murder.

Kerry Lynn Richardson, 50, is charged in 5th District Court with murder, a first degree felony, along with possession of a controlled substance, a third degree felony, and use or possession of drug paraphernalia, a class B misdemeanor.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

The morning of Sept. 9, Cedar City police officers went to a home at 1597 N. Cedar Blvd., and found 47-year-old Tracy Ellen Little lying amid a bloody scene in the bedroom.

According to a probable cause statement filed in 5th District Court, the walls, ceiling, floor, bedding and clothing in the bedroom and the floors, walls and ceiling of the adjoining bathroom were covered in blood.

Little had suffered multiple head and face fractures and was flown to Intermountain Medical Center in Murray, the probable cause statement shows. She died 10 days later.

Richardson was originally charged with aggravated assault, a second degree felony, but prosecutors requested that the charge be amended to murder two months after Little’s death.

A judge granted the amended charge Tuesday, during a preliminary hearing for Richardson. A medical examiner testified before the hearing was continued to Dec. 14 because of the new charge.

Police said they discovered Richardson, Little’s boyfriend for 11 years, with blood on his hands, feet, face and back, but no visible injuries on Sept. 9. They also found a methamphetamine pipe and several empty beer bottles inside the home.

Richardson told police that he had smoked methamphetamine with Little and drank the beer, the statement shows. He told police he couldn’t explain how Little was injured, but said the two of them had been the only people inside the home, the statement shows.

He told police that he believed that Little had been cheating on him and said they "talked about this" after she returned home about 2 a.m., documents show.

story continues below
story continues below

Richardson claimed he then fell asleep and woke up later when he heard Little having trouble breathing and called 911.


Twitter: @jm_miller

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.