Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Woman shot after stealing Utah officer’s police car appears in court

Court » Joann Biggs had been arrested on warrants issued by Hurricane justice court and state of Nevada.

First Published Nov 26 2012 05:49 pm • Last Updated Mar 06 2013 11:34 pm

A Washington County woman who was shot by police last week after allegedly stealing a police car at gunpoint was in court Monday on warrants unrelated to the car theft episode.

After being released from the hospital, Joann Boone, 48, appeared in 5th District Court in connection with a fugitive warrant issued by Nevada earlier this month for allegeldy violating her parole.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

According to the court documents, Boone failed to complete a required substance abuse evaluation after she was released from the custody of the Nevada Department of Corrections. A warrant was issued Nov. 14 requesting that Boone be brought back to Nevada.

The Nevada warrant was one of two for which Boone was arrested on Nov. 19 by a St. George city police officer. After being searched and put into the back of a police cruiser, Boone somehow managed to get her hands on a pistol, which she allegedly pointed at the officer, who was about to book her into jail. She then stole the officer’s car while still in handcuffs, according to the Washington County Sheriff’s Office.

She led multiple officers from local police agencies, Washington County and the Utah Highway Patrol on a chase that ended at a Hurricane gas station, where she allegedly tried to commandeer a citizen’s car.

Boone was allegedly brandishing the gun when a Washington County deputy shot in the hip.

After recovering from her injuries, Boone was booked into the Washington County jail on the Nevada warrant, as well as a local warrant issued by the Hurricane Justice Court.

The Hurricane warrant accuses Boone of misdemeanor charges of possession of burglary tools, criminal mischief, criminal trespass and theft. Boone pleaded not guilty to the charges in February 2011, but the case was still unresolved when she ended up in Nevada’s custody less than a month later.

No charges stemming from the last week’s alleged theft of the police cruiser car were filed as of Monday.


story continues below
story continues below

Twitter: @KimballBennion

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.