Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Salt Lake City family rushed to hospital after CO poisoning
Safety » Parents called 911 after they and four others feltflu-like symptoms.
First Published Nov 12 2012 07:17 am • Last Updated Mar 06 2013 11:32 pm

A Salt Lake City family of six was rushed to the hospital Monday morning after emergency medical responders found them sick inside a home that registered dangerously high levels of carbon monoxide.

Salt Lake City Fire Department spokesman Jasen Asay said the parents called 911 at 5:09 a.m., reporting that they and another adult and three children, ages 19 months, 8 and 9 years, had been feeling sick with "flu-like symptoms" for several days.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

Paramedic firefighters and a hazardous materials unit were dispatched to the home at 457 E. Redondo Ave. (1995 South). All six family members were conscious when taken by ambulance to the hospital, where they underwent hyperbaric chamber, oxygen-enrichment treatment for carbon monoxide poisoning.

Questar personnel called to the scene determined the source of the carbon monoxide was a natural gas-fueled water heater. Asay said the water heater was deactivated and will need to be replaced.

The family did not have carbon monoxide detectors in the home, Asay said.

"This is a scary thing. Our paramedics said they called just in time, that any longer in that house could have been a very serious, even fatal situation," Asay said, noting that carbon monoxide levels were recorded at 4,000 parts per million; anything over 25-35 ppm during an eight-hour period is considered dangerous.

"This level of carbon monoxide was extremely high," Asay said, adding that it is easy for people to assume they are suffering from the flu, since symptoms like nausea, headaches and lethargy are common to both the flu and initial carbon monoxide poisoning.

"This is a reminder for the public, especially now that cold weather has begun and they are using furnaces and other [natural gas] appliances, about the need for having carbon monoxide detectors," Asay said.


Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.