Quantcast
Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Salt Lake City condo dwellers allowed to return home
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2012, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Occupants of an east Salt Lake City condominium complex were allowed to return to their homes late Wednesday night, a full day after dangerous levels of carbon monoxide forced evacuation.

Les Koch, manager of Salt Lake City Building Services, said the source of the gas was determined to be a faulty garage ventilation system.

"Exhaust fans in the garage have been repaired and the condominiums [were] restored to occupancy Wednesday night," Koch said.

Salt Lake City Fire Department spokesman Jasen Asay said no injuries were reported from what he described as "unhealthy high levels of carbon monoxide" detected at 159 E., 800 South, about 7:20 p.m. Tuesday.

Firefighters evacuated all 14 units in the complex. A total of 17 occupants were displaced.

An alarm system initially detected the gas, after which residents called 911. The displaced condo dwellers reportedly were able to find temporary shelter with friends and relatives.

remims@sltrib.com

Article Tools

 Print Friendly
 
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.