Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
(Paul Fraughton | The Salt Lake Tribune) The husband of Josie Fox, Douglas Fox, addresses the court before Judge Donald Eyre sentenced Roberto Roman. Roman was acquitted of the murder of Millard County Deputy Josie Fox, but was found guilty of tampering with evidence and possession of a dangerous weapon by a restricted person. Wednesday, October 24, 2012
Accused killer of Utah deputy sentenced to 10 years on lesser charges
Josie Fox case » The judge said he wished he could give Román a longer sentence.
First Published Oct 24 2012 09:12 am • Last Updated Feb 07 2013 11:32 pm

Spanish Fork • Hunter Winn, just 15 when her mother was killed, stood before the judge, remembering a "great role model," and recounting the pain of the last three years and the hard times that still lay ahead.

And with Roberto Miramontes Román sitting at a table behind her, shackled and dressed in a blue jail jumpsuit, the teenager asked 4th District Judge Donald Eyre a question: "Why shouldn’t he have to suffer as long as we do?"

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

For the friends and family of slain Millard County sheriff’s Deputy Josie Greathouse Fox, Wednesday’s sentencing hearing for the 40-year-old Román could not have exacted justice.

Román was acquitted after a weeklong trial in August of Fox’s murder, a verdict that shocked and angered many around the state. At issue Wednesday was only whether Román’s sentences on two lesser felony convictions for tampering with evidence and possessing a firearm would net him a prison sentence of up to five years or up to 10 years.

"The thing that drives me, Mr. Román — at least in my opinion, you got away with murder," the judge said in handing down the maximum penalty. He added, "Given the pain you’ve caused ... my only concern is that I couldn’t give you more time."

Outside the courthouse Wednesday, Deputy Millard County Attorney Pat Finlinson said the sentence provided "some closure" to a family and community hit hard by Fox’s death. Finlinson said he was "shocked" by the not guilty verdict in what he called an "open-and-shut case."

"I’m absolutely convinced he shot and killed Deputy Josie Fox," the prosecutor said.

Fox’s family left the courthouse, some visibly angry, despite the judge’s promise to request the Board of Pardons keep Román imprisoned for the entirety of the sentence.

"He should be going to a hanging," one man shouted at news reporters.

"Everyone knows he killed my mom. Everyone knows that," Winn said.

story continues below
story continues below

Dressed in the uniform he was not allowed to wear at trial, for fear of prejudicing jurors, Millard County Sheriff Robert Decker echoed those sentiments.

"The very system Deputy Fox died protecting failed her in this particular case," Dekker said. "But it’s the best system we’ve got."

In asking the judge to impose the maximum prison term, Fox’s husband, Doug Fox, told the judge, "Josie tried to do everything she could and helped out so many people, and she can’t do that anymore. [Román’s] taken that away. She didn’t really trust the judicial system. I don’t think you need to let her down."

Had the jury found Román guilty of aggravated murder, he would have faced up to life in prison.

Román avoided that fate by taking the witness stand and testifying that — despite his earlier confession to police that he shot and killed Fox during a late-night traffic stop — it was Fox’s own brother, Ryan Greathouse, who wielded the gun from the passenger seat of Román‘s car.

Finlinson blasted Román’s story, calling it "insult to injury" and a "convenient" tale that prosecutors heard for the first time at trial.

"Blame the dead guy," Finlinson said of Greathouse, who died in April 2010 of a drug overdose. "Blame the guy who can’t defend himself. Blame the guy who can’t respond."

Greathouse’s statement to police, indicating he had driven home following a drug deal with Román, was deemed hearsay and not allowed at trial because Greathouse was not available to be cross-examined by defense attorneys.

When Román took the witness stand in his own defense, he told the jury that after selling and smoking methamphetamine with Greathouse in the early morning hours of Jan. 5, 2010, he and Greathouse drove toward Hinckley. Román wanted to collect money Greathouse owed him for drugs, but Fox pulled them over.

Román said Greathouse picked up an AK-47, placed the weapon against Fox’s chest and fired twice.

Greathouse began crying and told him that he had shot his sister, said Román, who claimed he then drove Greathouse to his home after agreeing to take the blame for the shooting and intending to flee to Mexico.

Next Page >

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.