Ogden firefighters credited a sprinkler system for keeping a Thursday morning strip mall fire from becoming a major conflagration.
Deputy Fire Chief Eric Bauman said the blaze began shortly after 7 a.m. at 3585 S. Harrison Blvd., an address composing seven businesses. The fire started inside Beto’s restaurant, which sustained about $20,000 in fire, smoke and fire damage. The nearby Little Caesars Pizza also filled with smoke.
"The sprinkler system [inside Beto’s] did activate and extinguish the majority of the fire," Bauman said. "Smoke was ventilated from both businesses, and property owners for both businesses were contacted and responded to the scene."
In addition to Ogden fire units, crews from the South Ogden Fire Department and Weber Fire District helped extinguish the flames.
While three people were evacuated from Beto’s, none was injured, Bauman said.
"This is another example of the benefits of sprinkler systems in businesses," he added. "The early activation of the business’ sprinkler system played a huge role [in preventing the] spread of the fire."
Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.