Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
SUU trustee Nina Barnes nominated to join Regents
First Published Oct 10 2012 04:01 pm • Last Updated Oct 10 2012 04:22 pm

Gov. Gary Herbert nominated a Southern Utah University trustee last week to fill the Regents seat vacated by Katharine Garff.

Nina Barnes, who also serves as a Cedar City councilwoman and is active in numerous local organizations that support children, faces a Senate confirmation hearing on Monday. Her appointment will later face a vote of the full Senate before she takes a spot on the board that governs the eight-institution Utah System of Higher Education.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

If confirmed, Barnes will be Herbert’s sixth pick among the 14 voting non-student members of the board.

Her resume of civic involvement includes serving as a victim advocate for the Women & Children’s Crisis Center, Park Discovery general coordinator, director of the Cedar City Rotary Club, founding member of the Cedar City Children’s Justice Center Friends Board, and founding president of the American Children’s Christmas Festival.

Brian Maffly

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.