Investigators are blaming vapors from gasoline cans ignited by the pilot light of a water heater for a house fire in Salt Lake City early Thursday morning.
Salt Lake City Fire Department spokesman Jasen Asay said the gasoline was being stored in the basement of a home in the 1600 South block of Jefferson Street (about 150 West) when the fire erupted just after 1 a.m. The blaze forced a family of four to flee, but quick-acting firefighters managed to douse the flames before they completely consumed their home.
About 25 firefighters responded, managing to contain the flames to the basement.
"We had a very quick attack on the fire when we got to the scene," added Fire Capt. Arnie Ainge, noting that the first unit arrived at the home just 3 minutes and 59 seconds after being dispatched.
One of the family members was treated for minor smoke inhalation at the scene. The Utah Red Cross assisted the family in obtaining overnight accommodations, Asay said.
There was no immediate dollar estimate for damage.
Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.