Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Price man won’t face charges for fatal stabbing

Jordan Wilcox was defending himself against aggressor.

First Published Aug 28 2012 01:40 pm • Last Updated Aug 31 2012 04:40 pm

The Price man who stabbed and killed another man in May will not face criminal charges.

Carbon County prosecutors say Jordan Wilcox, 21, was defending himself when he fatally stabbed Ryan Patrick, 32.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

"We decline to prosecute because we didn’t have sufficient evidence to be able to prove that the case was anything other than what appeared to be self-defense," said Deputy County Attorney Jeremiah Humes.

Humes said that a number of witnesses, who had no connection to either party, detailed critical information that led prosecutors to their decision last month to not file charges.

He said witnesses told authorities that Patrick and a friend borrowed Wilcox’s car around noon on May 4. The two were involved in an altercation with another person about three hours later, and Patrick threatened that person with a weapon.

Shortly after, Humes said motorists witnessed Patrick in "an agitated state" when the two men returned to Wilcox’s home, near 390 N. 100 East. Minutes later, witnesses saw Patrick and the friend place two large kitchen knives in Wilcox’s vehicle.

Around 4 p.m., Wilcox and Patrick began arguing at Wilcox’s house. A witness told authorities that Patrick made a threat against Wilcox’s life, so Wilcox left in his car to cool down and to clean out his car.

While cleaning the car, Wilcox discovered the two knives, Humes said.

When Wilcox came back to his home about 20 minutes later, he was immediately attacked by Patrick while he was still sitting in the car, Humes said.

"Wilcox displayed the knives he had found in the car in an attempt to stop Patrick’s aggression," Humes said. "Patrick fought Wilcox for the knives and Wilcox received a cut to his ear."

story continues below
story continues below

Wilcox then attempted to leave his car, Humes said, but Patrick had him pinned.

"There was a struggle between the two," Humes said. "[Wilcox] was pinned in the door of the vehicle, and his life was threatened, and he responded with the knife."

Wilcox stabbed Patrick in the shoulder, who was later pronounced dead at Castleview Hospital.

Humes said a witness observed much of the altercation, and confirmed that Patrick was the main aggressor.

Lab tests indicate Patrick had a high blood-alcohol content, as well as prescription drugs and illegal controlled substances in his system.


Twitter: @jm_miller

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.