Chemical scare: Salt Lake City child care center evacuated
More than 100 children were evacuated Friday from the Intermountain Child Development Center in Salt Lake City after chemicals were spread throughout the building through an air conditioning system.
Two adults felt ill after the evacuation and were evaluated by medical workers, but none of the 110 children or nine adults were transported to the hospital.
Salt Lake City Fire Department authorities report that they were sent to the building at 259 S. 500 East on complaints of a chemical odor just after 1 p.m. Friday.
After evacuating the building, a hazmat team found the chemicals Xylene and Toluene in the air.
Authorities said roofers were on the building preparing to install a new roof. They had used an adhesive that contained those chemicals near a vent, and the vapors were sucked into the air conditioning system and distributed throughout the building.
Firefighters determined the building should remain vacant for the rest of the day, and fans were placed outside to help with ventilation. The children were taken to a nearby fire department station, where they received a tour of the station, along with crayons and coloring books. They remained at the station until their parents picked them up.
See more about comments here.