Quantcast
Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Unified Fire Authority firefighters spray down a shell of what used to be a motor home Saturday afternoon at Snowbird. A family from Tennessee drove to Utah in the RV. Police believe the propane tank may have caused the explosion leading to the fire. Out of the family of four only one person was injured with second-degree burns. Courtesy Andrew Johnson
Man injured when motor home explodes at Snowbird

First Published Jul 07 2012 01:15 pm • Last Updated Oct 30 2012 11:31 pm

A family from Tennessee is lucky to be alive after the mobile home they rented and drove across the country exploded and began to burn while they were still inside.

Firefighters believe a leaky propane tank may be to blame for the small explosion that caught the mobile home on fire in the parking lot of Snowbird Resort in Little Cottonwood Canyon on Saturday.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

One person was injured with burns, but the rest escaped unscathed. The RV — estimated at $100,000 — is a total loss.

"It is really destroyed," said Unified Fire Authority Capt. Michael Greensides.

At about noon a report of a fire came from the area of the Cliff Lodge at Snowbird, according to Greensides.

The family of four rented the newer model motor home from Memphis, Tenn., and drove to Snowbird to stay at the lodge. When the husband got out to check into their room he heard a "hissing sound" and several pops, Greensides said. He went to the back of the RV to check when he saw a large flame flash in front of him.

"Apparently [the propane tank] caught fire and flashed," Greensides said. The accident is under investigation.

A UFA station captain at a nearby station heard the explosion and "saw the man laying on the ground with burns on his body and the motor home on fire," Greensides said.

The man, in his 30s, sustained second-degree burns to the lower half of his body and was transported by helicopter to University Hospital.

It took crews about 20 minutes to put out the fire. All that was left was a charcoal metal frame.


story continues below
story continues below

"It could have been a lot worse," Greensides said.

The man’s wife, also in her 30s, and her two children were able to escape just in time. "When they got out there were flames coming from underneath," Greensides said.

The accident is a reminder, Greensides said, to make sure there aren’t any leaks on your motor home and make sure you have something nearby to extinguish the flames.

cimaron@sltrib.com

Twitter: @CimCity



Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment


About Reader Comments


Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Videos
Jobs
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.