Summit busts man for violating fire ban
A man was arrested in Summit County after deputies found him and others stoking a bonfire in defiance of a newly adopted ban on such blazes.
Deputies responded to a call at 11:50 p.m. Friday of an open fire on Echo Dam Road near Echo Reservoir in Coalville. They found several minors and an adult drinking alcohol while feeding the fire, according to the Sheriff's Office.
Officials said having the bonfire was a direct violation of the county's new fire ban ordinance.
Counties and communities across Utah have enacted such measures as wildfires rage across much of the state.
The adult in Summit County who claimed responsibility for the bonfire was charged with a class B misdemeanor, according to the Sheriff's Office. Three other adults were booked on suspicion of multiple drug and alcohol violations and contributing to the delinquency of minors. Two juveniles were referred on charges, too.
Summit County Sheriff David Edmunds said in a news release Saturday that, because of the fires and extreme fire danger in the area, he was taking a "zero-tolerance stance on the open fire and fireworks issue."
"The Summit County Sheriff's Office," he vowed, "will actively protect our mountain community from the threat that these careless individuals pose to our homes, economy and environment by recklessly violating the ban."
See more about comments here.