Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Amra Miletic, who died last year at the Weber County jail. Courtesy image.
Family of woman who died in jail files federal lawsuit
First Published Jun 21 2012 04:07 pm • Last Updated Jun 21 2012 11:29 pm

The family of a 47-year-old woman who died in the Weber County jail while being detained on an immigration hold has filed a lawsuit alleging she was allowed to slowly bleed to death.

Amra Miletic, a Bosnian refugee, was pronounced dead March 20, 2011, after she was found unresponsive in her jail cell. She was booked into jail on Feb. 1, 2011, on suspicion of obstruction of justice and kept there by immigration officials.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

A lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court on Thursday names Weber County and Sheriff Terry Thompson as defendants. It alleges jail staff knew about Miletic’s medical problems during the six weeks she was jailed and were negligent in attending to her medical needs.

The day of her arrest Miletic was taken to the emergency room, where she complained of nausea, vomiting and diarrhea she had experienced for several days prior, the lawsuit alleges. The lawsuit states on her booking day it was noted she had heart problems, post-traumatic stress disorder and thyroid problems. Also noted were the medications she brought with her.

In the following weeks, Miletic complained to medical and jail staff that she was feeling sick, was losing weight and had rectal bleeding including large blood clots, the lawsuit states.

On March 9, 2011, a jail doctor diagnosed Miletic with a disease, which he thought to be the cause of the diarrhea, and that the bleeding was hemorrhoidal, the lawsuit states.

Anita Omerika, Miletic’s sister-in-law, was concerned.

"She started complaining from the first day [I spoke to her], which was Feb. 5," said Omerika at a Thursday news conference. "For the three weeks before she died, every day she has been telling me, ‘Anita, I am dying.’ She told me, ‘I’m shortly and slowly dying. Nobody [is] helping me. Nobody even try to help me.’"

Omerika said she called Sheriff Thompson with concerns and was told Miletic was fine and not to worry. Omerika added that Miletic’s attorneys at the time also complained to the jail.

Two days before her death, the complaint states Miletic was once again seen by the jail doctor, who told her she needed a colonoscopy and "possible hemorrhoidal surgery," the lawsuit states. The doctor prescribed a thyroid and a topical medication and she was told to follow up in a week. Autopsy results determined her history of heart problems, most likely due to a thyroid condition, in combination with her recent blood loss from colitis caused her heart to stop.

story continues below
story continues below

Weber County declined to comment on the lawsuit Thursday.

Until mid June 2011, the jail housed U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement detainees as they awaited processing. Miletic, a legal resident, was facing removal from the country because of a criminal history that included cocaine possession and obstruction of justice, local immigration officials reported after her death.

Omerika said Miletic started using drugs to deal with what she had experienced. She said Miletic, whom she had known for 22 years, was raped and had lost four brothers and her father during the Bosnian-Serbian war.

"She was funny, loving, generous, caring and most funny person I ever know in my life," Omerika said. "The only things she need is love and care and help for the last three years."

Miletic had been clean for the past 13 months, Omerika said. She was the mother of two grown children she had with her ex-husband.

"The U.S. Constitution gives every inmate a right to have reasonable medical care," said plaintiff’s attorney Robert Sykes Thursday. "This inmate had serious medical conditions and they knew about it … if you ignore these serious problems and someone dies on your watch, you are responsible for it."

Omerika said she was happy to be able "to raise her voice for Amra" but also wanted to speak up so no one else goes through the experience. The lawsuit seeks an unspecified amount of damages.

"My family has been hurt deeply so much. We come to the United States after the war to find the hope for all of us," Omerika said.


Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.