Fire destroys mobile home in Moab

Published June 5, 2012 8:52 pm
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2012, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

A Moab mother and her child lost their trailer home in an electrical fire Tuesday morning.

The fire began about 8:15 a.m. with an "electrical short in the wall," said Moab Fire Chief Corky Brewer.

The mother, who was in bed with her 1-year-old child, smelled smoke and got up, Brewer said. By then, the front porch was fully engulfed.

"She was lucky to get out," he said.

The home was totally destroyed; it was not insured, and Red Cross teams are helping the family with housing.

Firefighters struggled to contain the blaze as 30 to 35 mph winds gusted through the neighborhood.

"I don't know how we kept that whole trailer park from going down," Brewer said.

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
comments powered by Disqus