Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Memorial planned as scaled-down search for Layton boy continues
Obituary » Family asks donations be made to search teams.
First Published May 08 2012 01:26 pm • Last Updated May 08 2012 11:27 pm

Weber County search and rescue volunteers scaled back efforts Tuesday to locate a 4-year-old Layton boy, but haven’t given up the search.

Meanwhile, the family plans to hold a memorial service on Saturday to remember Corbin Anderson, presumed drowned in the Weber River more than a week ago.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

Weber County Sheriff’s Lt. Mark Lowther said Tuesday that the number of searchers has been dramatically reduced, and recovery efforts won’t increase unless there is a sighting of the boy.

"Right now we just don’t know what we can do that we haven’t already done," Lowther said.

During the past 10 days, the river between 17th and 24th streets has been thoroughly searched by kayakers, divers, helicopters and ground crews.

Also, Utah State Parks rangers have checked the Great Salt Lake where the Weber River empties. But officials say the chances of Corbin’s body being in the lake are almost impossible. There is a diversion dam at 17th Street, and several canals leading to the Great Salt Lake are protected with screens or flood gates.

Memorial services for Corbin will be held at Lindquist’s Layton Mortuary, 1867 N. Fairfield Road, on Saturday at 11 a.m., according to the boy’s obituary

Instead of flowers, the family is requesting donations be made to the Red Cross, or to the Weber and Davis County Search and Rescue team, in Corbin’s name. As part of the obituary, Corbin’s family thanked everyone who volunteered their time to try to find the boy.

The Layton boy fell into the river near 300 W. Exchange Road on April 28 while standing on a boulder so his family could take his picture, police have reported.

Last weekend, the Weber River was temporarily diverted into an adjacent river channel, while water levels simultaneously were lowered by closing the Echo Dam spillway upstream.

story continues below
story continues below

Lowther said the diversion was feasible because of the existing secondary river channel near where the boy fell in, and because local companies donated time and machinery to reroute the water.

Had the boy fallen in elsewhere, diverting the river might not have been an option, Lowther said.

"We really wanted to recover this child and let his family have some closure," he said.


Twitter: @CimCity

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.