Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
(Steve Griffin/The Salt Lake Tribune) Keith Hales and Kim Brown, right, hold three dogs that escaped a house fire in Murray, Utah Thursday May 3, 2012. The dogs belonged to Brown's son and daughter-in-law who are living in the home that caught fire Thursday morning. Brown's son suffered burns to his face and was taken to a nearby hospital. The other three people, a women and two children, escaped unharmed. According to Murray City fire authorities the dog on the right hid in a crib inside the home and survived the blaze. The other two dogs escaped outside during the blaze.
Murray family, dogs escape house fire
First Published May 03 2012 09:13 am • Last Updated May 03 2012 04:24 pm

Four people, including a mother and two small children — and their three pets — escaped a fire that heavily damaged a Murray home Thursday morning.

Murray Fire Department spokesman Russ Groves says he and another city employee were driving near Poplar and E. Vine Street (about 4800 South and State Street) just before 9 a.m. when they spotted smoke pouring from a house.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

"We called it in and our guys were there in no time," Groves said. "The mother said she was asleep with her 2-week-old baby girl when she awoke to see flames rising from near the foot of her bed. She grabbed the baby, her 3-year-old son and told her husband, and they got out."

Meanwhile, the woman’s husband also staying in the home had rushed back inside the burning house to rescue three small dogs he thought were still inside. He came back out empty-handed, but not before suffering minor facial burns and smoke inhalation.

The would-be canine rescuer was taken to Intermountain Medical Center for treatment. Meanwhile, two of the dogs were found to have fled to safety outside, and firefighters discovered the third dog inside the house, hiding under a crib and unharmed.

The home sustained an estimated $70,000 in damage. The family will stay with relatives, Groves said.

The cause of the fire was under investigation.


Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.