A South Salt Lake man was taken to the hospital with burns on half his body after his mobile home exploded early Tuesday morning.
Fire crews were called to the home just after 7 a.m. South Salt Lake Deputy Fire Chief Kevin Bowman said a propane tank likely exploded in the mobile home, located near 100 W. 3300 South.
Bowman said that when fire crews arrived on scene, they found the destroyed trailer, but very few flames. Once they were able to get inside the home, they found a man with second- and third-degree burns on about 50 percent of his body. He was transported to a local hospital in critical condition. He remained in critical condition Tuesday afternoon, Bowman said.
The man was the only person injured in the explosion. No one else was in the home, Bowman said, and while nearby trailers were damaged by debris, no one was hurt.
"There was debris scattered 50-60 feet," he said. "It was definitely a big explosion."
Bowman said it appears the man was lighting his stove when the explosion occurred.
Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.