Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Salt Lake City cold case solved: Killer has been dead for years

Crime » DNA proves truck driver killed 18-year-old in 1992; he killed himself 2 days later.

First Published Apr 28 2012 05:35 pm • Last Updated Apr 28 2012 11:25 pm

After 20 years of searching for a suspect in the cold case murder of a Salt Lake City woman, police discovered the killer is dead — and has been for the duration of the investigation.

Police in January closed the case of Danielle Lorene Anderson, an 18-year-old woman who was strangled at a Salt Lake City motel in November 1992.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

"I miss my daughter," said Darryl Anderson, Danielle’s father, during a recent phone interview with The Salt Lake Tribune.

Darryl Anderson said the family was glad to have closure. "Hats off to everybody" on the homicide team for doing their job, he said. "They did it well, stuck to it and brought resolution."

The father doesn’t hold a grudge or harsh feelings for anyone involved in the case.

"She was murdered, there is no way that anything is going to bring her back. To hold hard feelings is a waste of time," he said.

DNA evidence has proven Anderson’s killer was a trucker named John Morlang, 30, who killed himself in Arizona shortly after committing the crime, according to police.

On Nov. 18, 1992, police responded to a report of a body in a room at a Super 8 Motel at 161 S. 200 West, according to police records obtained through a state records request.

Motel guests on the floor below told police that in the early morning hours they heard loud voices, and doors and furniture being banged around. They also heard a woman calling out a man’s name and what sounded like a head being pounded against the floor and sounds of gagging or choking. The door to the room was then loudly closed, witnesses told police.

Motel staffers found Anderson on the floor strangled with a gold necklace.

story continues below
story continues below

Anderson was a happy child and outgoing teenager, according to a family member who spoke of her sister during a 1992 interview. But after turning to drugs at age 13, she lived a life that involved marijuana, cocaine, heroin and prostitution, the family member said.

In 1992, Anderson twice pleaded guilty to prostitution-related charges.

After Anderson was found dead in the motel room, police clipped her fingernails — gathering evidence that would eventually point to Morlang.

But in the intervening years, police focused on Anderson’s boyfriend — who witnesses say was angry at her that night — and others who were close to her. But the case went cold.

In 2005, the case was opened again and police requested DNA from the boyfriend. But he was not a match to the DNA found on Anderson’s fingernails clippings. The DNA of several other individuals also was compared to the evidence, but there were no matches.

The focus then shifted back to a suspect police had known about from the beginning.

During their initial investigation, police had been tipped to look at a truck driver named John Morlang as a suspect. Morlang was in the Salt Lake City area the night of the homicide and was looking for a prostitute. But police had never interviewed him, according to reports.

Over time, investigators learned Morlang was long dead. He had killed himself about two days after Anderson’s murder.

A suicide note left by Morlang indicated he had done "something terrible in Salt Lake and he couldn’t live with himself," police reports state.

Next Page >

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.