Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Man shoots himself in head after police chase through Carbon County
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2012, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

A man was in critical condition Saturday after authorities said he climbed out of vehicle, placed a gun to his head and pulled the trigger following a police chase through Carbon County.

Utah Highway Patrol troopers said the incident started about 12:15 p.m. after a trooper spotted the man in Price and believed he was driving a stolen vehicle and should be considered armed and dangerous.

When the trooper tried to stop the man, he drove away and authorities pursued him.

Troopers said the chase reached speeds of up to 45 mph as the man drove through a large part of Price and Carbon County.

Officials said the man stopped about 30 minutes later near U.S. Highway 6, east of Price. As officers tried to talk the man into surrendering, they said he got out of his vehicle, raised a .22-caliber revolver to his head and shot himself.

Saturday afternoon, the man was in critical condition and was being flown to the University of Utah Hospital for treatment. Medical professionals told authorities they did not expect the man would survive.

No law enforcement officers discharged their weapons, UHP said.

The Emery County Sheriff's Office will investigate the incident.


Twitter @sltribjanelle

Article Tools

 Print Friendly
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.