Chemical explosion injures man at recycling facility
A worker at a Salt Lake City metal recycling facility was injured in an explosion Wednesday afternoon.
The man was using a plasma torch to cut into a 55-gallon metal drum at Natural Ventures, 2904 W. 500 South. The drum contained residue of Naphtha, a flammable substance used in lighter fluid and fuel for camp stoves, according to a press statement by the Salt Lake City Fire Department.
At about 3 p.m., the drum exploded, seriously injuring the man's head, face and neck. He was not wearing a helmet or eye protection, firefighters wrote.
See more about comments here.