Cigarette believed cause of Roy apartment fire

Published March 20, 2012 2:25 pm
Dignissim • Feugiat ut ullamcorper sed diam wisi euismod.
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2012, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

A fire that caused an estimated $750,000 in damage to a Roy apartment complex on Monday is believed to have been started by an unattended cigarette, fire officials said Tuesday.

The fire began on the balcony of the top southeast apartment the Herefordshire Apartment Complex, 4624 S. 1900 West. Investigators said the blaze was fueled by a propane bottle on the deck and household chemicals, like paint thinner, inside the home.

In all, the blaze rendered 12 units uninhabitable. No one was injured.

The damaged apartments have been released to the owners of the complex, and tenants are being allowed to work with insurance companies and apartment management to retrieve their belongings, officials said.


Twitter @sltribjanelle

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
comments powered by Disqus