A 14-year-old Daybreak charter school student was shocked Wednesday morning after someone plugged in his high-voltage science experiment ahead of schedule.
Unified Fire Authority spokesman Cliff Burningham said the teen, who attends Early Light Academy, 11709 S. Vadania Drive in Daybreak, was setting up the Tesla coil experiment about 11 a.m. when someone accidentally energized it, sending an electric jolt through the boy.
Tesla coils are used to produce high-voltage electricity.
Someone at the school called 911 to report the accident, and Burningham said firefighters checked the teen out, determined he hadn't suffered any ill effects and released him.
The teen's mother, who was notified by the school about the incident, decided to take the boy to a Riverton hospital to be checked out as a precaution, he said.