A Payson barn was gutted and a handful of chicks died in an early morning fire Tuesday, authorities said.
The barn had been built onto the back of a garage on the 400 East block of Utah Avenue for the raising of chicken and a turkey, said Payson Fire Chief Scott Spencer. The fire started near a heat lamp for chicks and the homeowner noticed it when he left for his morning run about 5:30 a.m., Spencer said.
Firefighters kept the blaze from spreading out of the barn to houses about 10 feet away, and were able to put it out in about 10 minutes. Most of the livestock survived the blaze, though a few chicks died, he said.
The fire did about $10,000 worth of damage; the cause is under investigation.
Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.