An Ogden man and his roommate escaped unharmed after their wood-burning stove caused the attic to go up in flames early Saturday morning.
Ogden City Fire Battalion Chief Corey Barton said the fire started at 1065 North St. about 1:40 a.m. and did about $35,000 in damage. The home is now uninhabitable. The men found living arrangements with friends and family in the area.
Barton said one of the male roommates started a fire in the woodstove just before going to bed. The stove was installed in an addition built in the back of the house with a flue pipe going through the attic and out the roof. Somehow the fire burned through the attic and throughout the house, Barton said, adding a note of caution: "Make sure your wood stoves are in working condition."
Barton said crews had to go back around 8:30 a.m. because the fire had reignited in one of the many layers of insulation in the attic.
There were no injuries in the fire. The cause has been ruled accidental.
Copyright 2013 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.