An early Friday morning house fire left two West Valley City families homeless, and sent three people to the hospital.
West Valley City Fire Battalion Chief Bob Fitzgerald said one woman was in fair condition at University Hospital’s Burn Unit after jumping from a second-floor window to the ground. She suffered facial lacerations and minor burns but no broken bones.
"It looks like she will be staying in the hospital at least a couple days," Fitzgerald said.
Another woman and a man were treated at the hospital for minor burns and cuts and then released. Two other adults and five children were uninjured as they fled the flames that broke out about 4 a.m. at 2573 S. 3500 West.
Fitzgerald estimated damage to the home exceeded $100,000.
"When our crews got there, fire was rolling up the front of the house out of the windows and on the roof where the swamp cooler was," Fitzgerald said. "It looks like it started in the basement mechanical room, where the furnace and washer and dryer were located."
The occupants were finding shelter with friends and relatives, Fitzgerald said.
Copyright 2013 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.