Approximately 35 residents of a downtown Salt Lake City apartment complex will be unable to move back to their homes until repairs from a Thursday night fire are completed.
Salt Lake City Fire Department spokesman Scott Freitag said Friday that could take "at least several days, or possibly weeks," depending on how quickly the owners of Fountain View Apartments, 230 F St., are able to clean up and renovate after more than $100,000 in fire, smoke and water damage.
Freitag said the three-alarm fire began inside a mechanical shed on the roof of the four-story building. The cause was determined to be a malfunctioning boiler-based heating system.
"Since all the utilities have to remain off there for now, the occupants will have to find other accommodations for the time being," Freitag said.
The blaze broke out about 10:30 p.m. Thursday, and heavy fire and smoke were billowing from the complex when fire crews arrived.
All 24 apartments were evacuated but no injuries were reported to tenants or firefighters.
Evacuees had all found other places to stay in the interim, Freitag said, with some finding shelter with friends or relatives and others taking advantage of Red Cross aid to stay at local motels.
Copyright 2013 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.