Quantcast

West Valley firefighters rescue woman from burning home

Published February 9, 2012 7:06 am

This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2012, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Firefighters used a ladder to rescue a trapped woman from the second floor of a burning West Valley City home late Tuesday.

West Valley City Fire Battalion Chief Bob Fitzgerald said the blaze at 4536 S. 4920 West was reported just before 10 p.m. Crews arrived to find the fire "well under way" after an electrical arc from a car undergoing repairs ignited gasoline spilled near the vehicle in the home's garage.

A man and three children escaped uninjured, but the woman — the man's fiancee — was trapped in the upstairs bedroom as flames approached.

"A ladder was brought up to the bedroom window and she was taken down. We transported her (to the hospital) as a precaution for smoke inhalation," Fitzgerald said, adding that the woman was treated and released.

A damage estimate was not immediately available, but losses were believed to be extensive.

remims@sltrib.com

USER COMMENTS
Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
comments powered by Disqus