Quantcast

Last of Ogden shooting search warrants is sealed

Published January 24, 2012 3:06 pm

Courts • The documents are usually made public after 20 days.
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2012, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

A judge has sealed all the search warrants related to an Ogden shooting in which one police officer was killed and five others were wounded, a spokeswoman for Utah State Courts said Tuesday.

That includes the original search warrant for a drug investigation police were serving Jan. 4 on Matthew David Stewart. The court spokeswoman, Nancy Volmer said last week that two search warrants had been sealed. Volmer on Tuesday confirmed a third and fourth search warrant have been sealed.

Search warrants in Utah become public 20 days after they are issued unless police or prosecutors ask a judge to seal them. A judge can find the search warrant would jeopardize a continuing investigation or be an invasion of privacy.

Search warrants include a description of the police investigation thus far. After the search, police must give the court on inventory of what they seized.

Court documents say the Weber Morgan Narcotics Strike force suspected Stewart, 37, was growing marijuana at his home at 3268 Jackson Ave. in Ogden. Stewart hid in his home until police entered, court documents allege, and fired a 9 mm handgun at officers.

The shooting killed strike force agent and Ogden police officer Jared Francom. Of the five wounded officers, Kasey Burrell is the only one still in the hospital. He was in fair condition Tuesday at McKay-Dee Hospital.

Stewart was wounded in the shootout and also remains in a hospital. He has been charged with aggravated murder and eight other felonies. Weber County Attorney Dee Smith has filed notice he will seek the death penalty.

Prosecutors last week filed amended charges against Stewart, adding a dangerous weapon enhancement that could mean up to nine additional years in prison if he were convicted of all counts against him.

ncarlisle@sltrib.com

Twitter: @natecarlisle