Quantcast

Utah boys save woman after her pants catch fire

Published January 20, 2012 3:57 pm

This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2012, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

South Jordan police Friday afternoon continued to investigate why a woman's pants caught fire in a Walmart parking lot.

Police Lt. Matt Evans said the woman was in the store's parking lot Thursday evening when her pants suddenly burst into flames.

He said a 12- and 13-year-old passing by noticed the woman's distress. One of the boys took off his coat and threw it over the fire to smother it. The other boy then used his hand to pat it out.

Evans said the boys were not injured. The woman was transported to the hospital for treatment, but the extent of her injuries was not known Friday afternoon, he said.

How the blaze started was still under investigation, but Evans said there was no indication that someone else lit the woman on fire.

The Associated Press reported the woman was wearing nylons under her jeans and that the pantyhose caught fire when ash from her cigarette burned through her pants, causing serious burns. Evans said he couldn't confirm that information.

jstecklein@sltrib.com

Twitter: @sltribjanelle

USER COMMENTS
Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
comments powered by Disqus