Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
(Courtesy photo) Ryan and Kelly Pack were driving home on Christmas Eve with their two sons Finn, 3, and Colum, 18 months, when an SUV jumped the median and hit their car in a head-on collision. Ryan, Kelly and Colum were critically injured. On Christmas Day, Colum passed away.
Boy released from hospital after crash in W. Jordan that killed brother
First Published Dec 27 2011 10:22 am • Last Updated Dec 27 2011 07:36 pm

A 3-year-old boy who was hurt in a Christmas Eve crash in West Jordan that killed his 18-month-old brother and injured their parents has been released from the hospital.

Finn Pack was released from Primary Children’s Medical Center on Dec. 26, which is also his mother Kelly’s birthday, according to a hospital spokeswoman and an update on kellypack.com, a website maintained by his family.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

Kelly Pack remained in serious condition Tuesday morning at University Hospital, said hospital spokesman Phil Sahm. Her husband Ryan Pack improved to fair condition. The family reports rehabilitation from their injuries will take more than six months for Ryan Pack and a year for his wife.

A candlelight vigil supporting the family was scheduled for 6 to 9 p.m. Wednesday at the Pack home, 178 N. 400 East in American Fork, according to the family website. Anyone wishing to make a donation to help the family with medical bills can do so by visiting the website.

Police are still investigating the crash, which happened about 6 p.m. Saturday as the family drove home. At 9000 South near 1000 West, a Chevy Suburban hopped a raised, landscaped median and slammed head-on into the Packs’ oncoming Subaru. The Suburban driver, described as a man in his 40s, was seriously hurt.

The mother, father and 18-month-old Colum Pack were flown by helicopter to University Hospital in critical condition. Colum died of his injuries Christmas Day.

West Jordan police Officer J.C. Holt told The Tribune on Monday: "Our hearts just go out to the family. It’s a tragic thing to happen any time, but especially at Christmas."

Police said there were no obvious signs of drug or alcohol impairment on the part of the Suburban driver. Toxicology tests are expected to take three to eight weeks to complete.


Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.