Quantcast
Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Meat supplier: China unit fell short of standards
Food safety » American company owner doesn’t provide details on use of expired meat.
First Published Jul 28 2014 09:57 am • Last Updated Jul 28 2014 09:57 am

Beijing • A U.S. meat supplier said Monday a Chinese subsidiary embroiled in a safety scandal fell short of its requirements for maintaining high standards.

The president of OSI Group, David G. McDonald, declined to give details of what the company has found at Shanghai Husi Food Co. A Shanghai TV station reported last week that Husi sold expired beef and chicken to restaurants including McDonald’s and KFC.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

The Chinese food safety agency said last week its investigators found unspecified illegal activity and police detained five employees of Husi including its product quality manager. But the government and OSI have yet to confirm publicly whether it sold expired meat.

"Our investigation has found issues that are absolutely inconsistent with our internal requirements for the highest standards, processes and policies," said McDonald at a news conference in Shanghai. "Why these things took place, by whom they took place and for what motives they took place, we simply can’t understand."

McDonald said OSI, based in Aurora, Illinois, will create a "quality control center" in Shanghai and will spend 10 million yuan ($1.6 million) on a food safety education campaign. He promised "swift actions" to remedy problems once the investigation is complete.

Restaurant operators that have withdrawn products made with meat from Husi include McDonald’s Corp., KFC owner Yum Brands Inc., pizza chain Papa John’s International Inc., Starbucks Corp., Burger King Corp. and Dicos, a Taiwanese-owned sandwich shop chain. McDonald’s restaurants in Japan also stopped using meat from Husi for chicken nuggets.

Chinese investigators have yet to say how high in the company they believe knowledge or encouragement of possible misconduct may have gone.

A food safety official was quoted last week by the official Xinhua News Agency as saying unspecified illegal behavior was an "arrangement organized by the company." Xinhua said the manager of Husi’s quality department told investigators that use of such meat went on for years with "tacit approval" from senior managers.

On Monday, the company’s owner and chairman, Sheldon Lavin, tried to distance it from individual employees who he said were to blame.

"These events simply don’t represent the values I stand for or those of my company," said Lavin, who appeared with McDonald.


story continues below
story continues below

"We understand that we need to rebuild and again earn respect," said Lavin. "We accept that there must be consequences and we take responsibility for the actions of those individuals working for our company."

The scandal has alarmed Chinese diners and disrupted operations in China for the world’s biggest fast food brands.

Product safety is unusually sensitive in China following scandals over the past decade in which infants, hospital patients and others have been killed or sickened by phony or adulterated milk powder, drugs and other goods.

On Sunday, OSI announced it was withdrawing all products made by Husi in Shanghai. It was unclear whether any still were in use after major fast food outlets suspended use of Husi’s products following last week’s news report.

On Monday, McDonald’s outlets in Beijing had stopped selling hamburgers and chicken sandwiches. At one outlet on the Chinese capital’s east side, only fish sandwiches were available.

"We are working towards resuming the availability of your favorite products as soon as possible," said a notice in Chinese and English on a cash register.



Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment


About Reader Comments


Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Videos
Jobs
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.