Quantcast

Judge nixes lawsuit over Empire State Building IPO

Published July 22, 2014 11:29 am

This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2014, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

New York • A judge says thousands of onetime investors in the Empire State Building can't sue over their claims they were shortchanged by the deal that turned the iconic skyscraper into a public stock.

A Manhattan judge dismissed the investors' lawsuit in a ruling made public Monday.

The judge said terms of a $55 million settlement last year barred the lawsuit over the October stock offering.

A lawyer for some of the plaintiffs said they planned to appeal. A lawyer for real estate magnates Peter and Anthony Malkin, who spearheaded the stock offering, declined to comment.

The suit was filed on behalf of roughly 3,000 people who held Empire State Building shares that were sold privately in 1961. It said the Malkins spurned better offers for the skyscraper to create the stock.

USER COMMENTS
Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
comments powered by Disqus