Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
These tax return tips from the IRS will help ease filing

Taxes » Avoid common mistakes, get your return processed faster.

First Published Apr 09 2014 08:58 am • Last Updated Apr 09 2014 05:19 pm

Thousands of Utahns will no doubt be working on their taxes this weekend, since they are due next Tuesday.

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) offered some suggestions that last-minute filers can use to avoid common mistakes that can delay the processing of their returns. These include:

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

» Mail a paper return to the right address. Paper filers should check IRS.gov or their form instructions for the appropriate address.

» Take a close look at the tax tables. When figuring taxes using the tax tables, make sure to use the correct column for the filing status claimed.

» Fill in all requested information clearly. This includes Social Security numbers. Make sure the numbers are correct and easy to read.

» Check only one filing status and the appropriate exemption boxes.

» Review all figures. Double check all calculations to eliminate any math errors.

» Get the right routing and account numbers if you are requesting direct deposit of a federal refund. Make certain the financial institution routing and account numbers entered on the return are accurate. Incorrect numbers can cause a refund to be delayed or deposited into the wrong account.

» Sign and date the return. If filing jointly, both spouses must sign and date the return. E-filers can sign using a self-selected personal identification number.

» Attach all required forms including W-2s and other forms that reflect tax withholding to the front of the return.

story continues below
story continues below

» If requesting a payment agreement with the IRS, also attach Form 9465.

» File electronically through e-file or IRS Free File. This reduces tax return errors as the tax software does the calculations, flags common errors and prompts taxpayers for missing information.

» Keep a copy of the return and all schedules for your records.

» Request a filing extension if you cannot meet the April 15 deadline, which is easy and will prevent late filing penalties. While an extension grants additional time to file, tax payments are still due April 15.

» If you owe tax, a number of e-payment options are available. Or send a check or money order payable to the United States Treasury.

For additional help and resources, including 1040 Central and the IRS Service Guide, visit IRS.gov.

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.