Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Utah grants available to combat weeds
Agriculture » Food and agriculture department awarding $1.8 million to stop spread of weeds.
First Published Jan 29 2014 02:54 pm • Last Updated Jan 29 2014 02:54 pm

The Utah Department of Food and Agriculture will award $1.8 million in grants to help fight the spread of weeds in Utah.

The Invasive Species Mitigation (ISM) funds are awarded to state, federal and local entities for weed abatement. Weeds such as cheatgrass traditionally compete against other vegetation, eventually take over, dry out and then become major fire hazards. Weeds also interfere with livestock feeding and threaten recreation areas and local crops.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

Applications are available by going to the UDAF website at ag.utah.gov/documents/ISM2014.pdf. Applications are due March 17, and the grant will be available by the end of July.

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.