Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Two University of Utah profs get $4M in Energy Department grants
First Published Oct 03 2013 08:01 am • Last Updated Oct 03 2013 08:01 am

Two University of Utah professors have received a combined $4 million in grants from the U.S. Department of Energy to find better ways to work with metals.

Professor Zak Fang will receive a $3 million grant to find a cheaper, more energy-efficient way to manufacture lightweight, corrosion-resistant titanium. Using such metal would make vehicles more fuel-efficient, but currently costs 10 times more than steel to manufacture. The new method would use magnesium hydride to extract titanium from ore.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

Professor Raj Rajamani will get $1 million to develop a new electromagnetic way to sort lightweight scrap metals. Current methods can’t distinguish between different grades of metal alloys, but the new method could and could reduce the need for manufacturing new metals.

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.