Quantcast
Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Appeals court hears BP challenge on spill claims
First Published Jul 08 2013 11:29 am • Last Updated Jul 08 2013 11:29 am

New Orleans • BP PLC is being forced to pay inflated and even "fictitious" claims to businesses because of the way a court-appointed administrator is making payments from a legal settlement following the 2010 oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, an attorney for the oil giant said Monday.

Ted Olson made the arguments in a packed courtroom before a three-judge panel of the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. A lower court already refused to block payments to businesses that claim the spill cost them money.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

At stake are billions of dollars in settlement payments stemming from the blowout of BP’s Macondo well in the Gulf of Mexico. It was unclear when the appeals panel would rule.

Samuel Issacharoff, an attorney for Gulf Coast businesses and residents, argued the oil company was aware of the settlement terms and the administrator’s methods. He questioned whether the appeals court has authority to change that agreement.

"There is no order of the lower court that is capable of being reviewed by this court," Issacharoff said.

Olson, who served as solicitor general under President George W. Bush, attacked the payout process.

"Irreparable injustices are taking place and money is being dispensed to parties from whom it may not be recoverable," he said in his opening remarks to the judges.

The panel opened Monday’s hearing by asking Olson whether the court has jurisdiction in a case involving a settlement already approved by the parties in the case and a U.S. District Court judge.

Judge James Dennis seemed skeptical at times, asking at one point, "How can we go beyond the four corners of the agreement?"

BP has asserted that the judge who approved the deal and a court-appointed claims administrator have misinterpreted the settlement, allowing thousands of businesses to secure hundreds of millions of dollars in payments for inflated and fictitious losses.


story continues below
story continues below

Plaintiffs’ attorneys who brokered the deal last year counter that BP undervalued the settlement and underestimated how many claimants would qualify for payments under the terms they negotiated.

BP’s appeal doesn’t apply to payouts to individuals.

The April 2010 blowout of BP’s well off the Louisiana coast triggered an explosion that killed 11 workers on the Deepwater Horizon drilling rig and led to millions of gallons of oil spilling into the Gulf. Shortly after the disaster, BP agreed to create a $20 billion compensation fund that was administered at first by the Gulf Coast Claims Facility, led by attorney Kenneth Feinberg.

After the settlement was announced last year, Barbier appointed attorney Patrick Juneau to take over the process of evaluating and paying claims.

The settlement doesn’t have a cap, but BP initially estimated that it would pay $7.8 billion to resolve claims by tens of thousands of Gulf Coast residents and businesses. Now the company says it no longer can give a reliable estimate for how much the deal will cost.

Awards to businesses are based on a comparison of their revenues and expenses before and after the spill. BP says a "policy decision" that Juneau announced in January 2013 allows businesses to manipulate those figures in a way that leads to errors in calculating their actual lost profits.

Plaintiffs’ attorneys say BP has never offered an alternative methodology for evaluating these claims — and had agreed from the outset of the settlement agreement that the claims administrator should interpret the compensation frameworks to provide the greatest payouts to claimants, the plaintiffs’ lawyers said.

Juneau’s office has offered more than $2.2 billion in settlement payments to more than 8,600 businesses as of June 23.



Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment


About Reader Comments


Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Videos
Jobs
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Login to the Electronic Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.