Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
IRS: Tax tips for newlyweds
First Published Jul 03 2013 08:22 am • Last Updated Jul 05 2013 03:55 pm

Summer brides and grooms, here’s a reality check to your wedded bliss: Changing your marital status can affect your taxes.

As a result, the Internal Revenue Service reminds newlyweds of the following:

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

Name changes » If you’re changing your legal name after marriage, you need to notify the Social Security Administration because tax returns must reflect up-to-date SSA records. You can file Form SS-5 at SSA.gov, call 800-772-1213 or visit a local SSA office to make the adjustment.

Address changes » If you’re moving, contact the U.S. Postal Service and file Form 8822 with the IRS. You’ll also want to let your employer know so they can mail your W-2 form to the right address at the first of the year.

Tax withholdings » If you both work, your combined income may push you into a higher tax bracket, so you may want to adjust your withholdings. The IRS has an online withholding calculator tool to help you do this.

Deductions » Marriage could qualify you for tax deductions that could translate into savings, so look into itemizing your taxes. One down side: You can’t use the simpler tax forms — 1040A or 1040EZ — if you itemize.

The IRS also noted it is reviewing the recent Supreme Court decision on the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) and will send revised guidance soon.

More information is available at irs.gov.

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.