Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
IRS: Protect your documents in case disaster strikes
Weather » Agency offers tips, resources in wake of rash of natural calamities.
First Published Jun 03 2013 09:50 am • Last Updated Dec 07 2013 11:32 pm

With deadly tornadoes, destructive flooding and raging wildfires part of the seasonal landscape, the Internal Revenue Service is reminding taxpayers to protect their valued assets.

Here are a few tips to help you weather a disaster:

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

Keep a record » Taking photos or video of your big-ticket belongings can greatly help with insurance and recovery claims. Give a copy to a friend or family member who lives out of the area.

Back up everything » Make scanned copies of original tax returns, bank statements and insurance papers, and store them on a thumb drive or burn to a CD. Keep the electronic copy in a safe place separate from the originals.

Check on fiduciary bonds » For business owners who use payroll services, check to see if the provider has a fiduciary bond. That can protect employers if the payroll service defaults.

If you lose documents » You can order copies of old tax returns and attachments (such as W-2s) from the IRS by using Form 4506 or calling 1-866-562-5227. The IRS also has a disaster loss workbook (Publication 584), as well as podcasts and YouTube videos on disaster assistance (available in English, Spanish and American Sign Language) at www.irs.gov.

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.